Topic: Distinguishability argument x Cantor's arguments?
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jan 9, 2013 4:32 PM

Michael Stemper

Re: Distinguishability argument x Cantor's arguments?

In article <virgil-9086DC.14315103012013@BIGNEWS.USENETMONSTER.COM>, Virgil <virgil@ligriv.com> writes:
>In article <3d65ff59-bf7e-445b-aad6-77d4ece64e9a@p17g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>, WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
>> On 2 Jan., 22:19, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > On the other hand Cantor have presented many arguments all of which
>> > are rigorously formalized in second order logic under full semantics,
>> > and those arguments PROVED that there are uncountably many reals

>> that can be distinguished by their finite initial segments.

>A decimal, or other base, expression is not a actually a number but
>merely a numeral, a representation of or name for a number.
>
>Actually, no real can be distinguished from ALL others by ANY finite
>initial segment of its decimal, or other base, representation.

However, ANY real can be distinguished from ANY other by SOME finite
initial segment of its decimal, or other base, representation.

(I'm aware that you know this, but I doubt that WM even understands
the distinction between our statements.)

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>