Topic: Jake Scott's rap videos for math
Replies: 10   Last Post: Jan 10, 2013 8:17 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Jake Scott's rap videos for math
att1.html (3.9 K)

On Jan 8, 2013, at 10:16 AM, "Dave L. Renfro" <renfr1dl@cmich.edu> wrote:

> I heard about this guy on NPR radio as I was driving to work
> this morning and found this article at The Washington Post:
>
> http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-11-23/local/35508341_1_math-students-montgomery-blair-high-school
>
> I think he's doing great. He's found a way to connect to
> the students he has (not the students he'd like to have)
> by making use of his individual strengths (not by making
> use of the strengths of someone he's trying to, or has been
> told to, emulate).
>
> Dave L. Renfro

http://www.maa.org/news/cgmo2012-results.html

A bronze medal was awarded to Gabriella Studt, 16, from Silver Spring, Maryland, who begins her junior year at Montgomery Blair High School.

The school has a magnet program as well. It would be an interesting study of how all of this works side by side.

And there is another magnet school in MD as well with a pretty impressive FAQ...

http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/uploadedFiles/schools/poolesvillehs/magnet/magnetfaqs10_13_10.pdf

And the cofounder of google is an alumni of the Montgomery Blair math team...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/montgomery-county-math-team-elevates-math-to-competitive-sport/2012/08/02/gJQAvmtQPX_story.html

And check out the summer math packets...

http://www.mbhs.edu/departments/magnet/Summerpackets.php

In my day, this was just called math, now it is "magnet math".:)

Bob Hansen