Topic: Jake Scott's rap videos for math
Replies: 10   Last Post: Jan 10, 2013 8:17 PM

r!chard tchen

Re: Jake Scott's rap videos for math

At 12:20 PM on 1/8/2013, GS Chandy wrote:
> My congratulations to Santo Chase (the wrestling coach),
> John Forrest (Jake's math teacher) AND all the people at
> Math-Forum who, together, disciplined AND nurtured this
> remarkable talent in his quite radical departure!

The Forum deserves no credit here, GS. For that matter, it remains a bit of a mystery why he thought to tell us about his videos -- or even found us in the first place.

(... although as a district, Montgomery County has participated in our Problems of the Week the past couple years.)

Let me drop Jake another note ...

At 1:39 PM on 1/8/2013, Robert Hansen wrote:
> Sorry, for all the links, it has been a while since I
> have seen such renewed interest in math, across the
> whole gamut. I got excited. The last time I saw such
> a range of instruction under one roof like this, with
> something for everyone, and no limits, was 35 years
> ago, in your average American high school.

Thanks for sharing your excitement, Bob -- and what you found! I particularly enjoyed this recollection from a parent of a student on the Montgomery County Math Team, which appeared in the _Washington Post_ article:

"His mother, Marli Pasternak, a Senate staffer, remembers that Charlie saw the opportunity to do math problems as a reward, and she and her husband encouraged that positive view. 'We'd say, sweetie, if you get homework done, you and Daddy can talk about math,' Marli remembered."

Cheers,

Richard Tchen

The Math Forum @ Drexel
3210 Cherry Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2713

tel1: (215)895-1787
tel2: (800)756-7823
facs: (215)895-2964

The Math Forum @ Drexel (http://mathforum.org/)
is a research and educational enterprise of
The Drexel University School of Education (http://goodwin.drexel.edu/soe/).