The Math Forum

Topic: Random Triangle Problem
Replies: 57   Last Post: Aug 17, 1997 10:51 PM

tony richards

Re: Random Triangle Problem

mathwft@math.canterbury.ac.nz (Bill Taylor) wrote:

>Any answers to open-ended problems of this type are bound to be somewhat
>subjective, or a matter of taste.
>
>But in this case, the answer seems fairly clear (and has appeared on Usenet
>many times before).
>
>Most folk would consider a triangle formed by "3 randomly chosen points" to
>be the same as one formed by "3 randomly chosen lines", and this second
>formulation, though tougher-looking at first glance is in fact much cleaner.
>
>The three lines, whatever else they have, should have orientations that are
>independent and uniform in (0 , 2pi) ; and this means choosing three numbers
>at random in that range. Once done, we then see that their actual placements
>ARE IRRELEVANT TO THE SOLUTION ! (Merely replacing triangles by similar ones.)
>
>This last observation leads me to suggest that this is a "complete" solution
>to the problem, and disputes of taste and subjectivity essentially decided.
>
>Thus, the problem is fairly easily solved. Let one line be the x-axis; if the
>other two have the same signed slope (prob 1/2), an obtuse is certain. If they
>have opposite slopes there are equal probs of obtuse or acute, (as the angle
>between then can be on either side of 90 deg).

IMHO, this is where you make an invalid assumption.
The third line is not free to make ANY angle between 0 and 180 degrees with the second
line, since it is constrained to have a slope opposite in sign to the second line,
WHEN MEASURED RELATIVE TO THE FIRST LINE.
You therefore have a skewed distribution for the third line, given the first and the second
lines,
so your assumption of equal probabilities of >90 and <90 degrees
between the second and third lines is unwarranted.
the answer therefore cannot be 0.75, if that is what your argument gives
since it has the above flaw.

--
Tony Richards 'I think, therefore I am confused'
Rutherford Appleton Lab '

Date Subject Author
7/16/97
Read Random Triangle Problem
Mike Housky
7/21/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
7/22/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Brian M. Scott
7/23/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
7/23/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
T. Sheridan
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
7/25/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Ilias Kastanas
7/23/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/23/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
7/27/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/28/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
7/30/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
7/30/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
8/1/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/25/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/30/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
8/1/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Charles H. Giffen
8/1/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
John Rickard
8/1/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Chris Thompson
8/1/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
John Rickard
8/4/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
8/5/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
John Rickard
7/25/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Charles H. Giffen
7/25/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Charles H. Giffen
7/28/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Hauke Reddmann
7/28/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/28/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/28/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/29/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
7/30/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Keith Ramsay
7/30/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
8/2/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Keith Ramsay
7/29/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
8/4/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
8/5/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Charles H. Giffen
8/6/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Terry Moore
8/7/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem (LONG summary)
Terry Moore
8/16/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem (LONG summary)
Kevin Brown
8/17/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem (LONG summary)
Kevin Brown
7/30/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Muad'dib