The Math Forum

Topic: Random Triangle Problem
Replies: 57   Last Post: Aug 17, 1997 10:51 PM

tony richards

Re: Random Triangle Problem

First a few comments on your comments.

I am not a newbie.
I did not start this post series.
I have shown all my working, including correcting my errors.
I have read most contributions, all with respect.
I have not insulted, sneered or abused anyone in this post
or assumed anything about them other than that they appear to be interested in actually
solving the problem as stated,

which is more than can be said for yourself.
Your abuse does not further any argument you might have made,
on the contrary, it may show that others understand your argument better than you do
yourself.

I will finish by including my final comments, which I hope make clear
the differences between us (me and others) on the 'random triangle' problem.
Please read it if you really wish to understand someone elses approach, rather than
just looking for confirmation/agreement with your own prejudices, without going into the
details (which may prove uncomfortable for your position).
The bottom line ssurely, should be to come out of this with at least a better understanding
of the problem, and at best a solution.

tony richards <tony.richards@rl.ac.uk> wrote:
>IMHO, it would be useful to restate the problem as originally posed.
(not by me I hasten to add)
>I believe the first poster mentioned ' probability of OBTUSENESS given
>three randomly chosen POINTS'.
>
>An early reply stated, without proof, that the result obtained for
>three randomly chosen points 'must be' equivalent to
>triangles formed by three randomly chosen LINES.
>
>IMHO, the two situations are NOT equivalent, and so need not necessarily produce the same
>answer. I do however accept that three randomly chosen LINES will give an obtuse triangle
>75 percent of the time.
>
>The reason I believe that the two processes for generating random triangles are not equivalent
>is as follows.
>
>Given two randomly chosen points, you have defined TWO VERTECES but only ONE LINE, whose
>direction can be regarded as randomly selected in direction space. However, as soon as the
>third POINT (or VERTEX) is selected, you SIMULTANEOUSLY FIX the other two LINES or sides,
>and these CANNOT be randomly related to each other in direction space.
>
>OTOH,
>Given two randomly chosen LINES in direction space, you have defined only ONE VERTEX, whose
>location can be regarded as randomly selected in the plane. However, as soon as the third LINE
>is randomly selected, you SIMULTANEOUSLY FIX the other two VERTEXES (or points), and the
>locations of these CANNOT be randomly related to each other.
>
>Therefore, IMHO, if you actually model the process using random POINTS, you may well get a
>different answer than you would get when modelling random intersecting LINES.

In answer to another polite reply I posted the following

--
Tony Richards 'I think, therefore I am confused'
Rutherford Appleton Lab 'but I don't slag people off '

Date Subject Author
7/16/97
Read Random Triangle Problem
Mike Housky
7/21/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
7/22/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Brian M. Scott
7/23/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
7/23/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
T. Sheridan
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
7/25/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Ilias Kastanas
7/23/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/23/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
7/27/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/28/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
7/30/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
7/30/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
8/1/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/24/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/25/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/30/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
8/1/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Charles H. Giffen
8/1/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
John Rickard
8/1/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Chris Thompson
8/1/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
John Rickard
8/4/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
8/5/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
John Rickard
7/25/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Charles H. Giffen
7/25/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Charles H. Giffen
7/28/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Hauke Reddmann
7/28/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/28/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/28/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Robert Hill
7/29/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
7/30/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Keith Ramsay
7/30/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
8/2/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Keith Ramsay
7/29/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
tony richards
8/4/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Bill Taylor
8/5/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Charles H. Giffen
8/6/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Terry Moore
8/7/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem (LONG summary)
Terry Moore
8/16/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem (LONG summary)
Kevin Brown
8/17/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem (LONG summary)
Kevin Brown
7/30/97
Read Re: Random Triangle Problem
Muad'dib