Topic: Distinguishability argument x Cantor's arguments?
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jan 9, 2013 4:32 PM

Virgil

Re: Distinguishability argument x Cantor's arguments?

In article
<e06a2b93-10fa-4cac-8e5e-be321dfd2308@p17g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 9 Jan., 00:15, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <99114492-6fad-4ac1-a30e-ff70224ad...@c14g2000vbd.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> >  WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > On 8 Jan., 14:44, mstem...@walkabout.empros.com (Michael Stemper)

> > > The problem is not distinguishing given reals, but how reals can
> > > uniquely by *given*. That requires a finite definition. But I am
> > > afraid that you don't even understand what that means.

> > A set is determined by any rule for distinguishing whether a test object
> > is or is not a member.

> A real number is determined or "given" by a unique word.

No number is given by a single word until that word has been defined as
meaning some number.

> Otherwise it
> could not be used.

Many, if not most, numbers are referred to by numerals which are at
least grammatically more like phrases rather than single words.

> And it was not possible to compare some finite
> initial segment of it with something else.

I can compare 3.14159 with a lot of things. That WM confesses his
inability to do so is just a measure of his general inabilities.