Topic: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Replies: 28   Last Post: Jan 17, 2013 7:25 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee

Haim posted Jan 9, 2013 8:23 PM (GSC's remarks interspersed):
> GS Chandy Posted: Jan 9, 2013 8:55 AM
>

> >And how many members of the 'Education Mafia' have
> YOU
> >managed to put in jail to date?
>
> The question is: how many members of the
> the Education Mafia did Michelle Rhee put in the
> jail?
>
> Answer: None.

Did she shout from the rooftops "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!"?

No? Then I should think she has not failed to do what she had in any case not promised to do.

But you have shouted - and you have failed.

> And, after four years, super-human effort, and lots
> of money, did Rhee succeed in reforming what is
> certainly one of the worst school systems in the
> country (ie, lots and lots of low-hanging fruit to
> pick)? Hardly.
>
> Correlation? I think so.
>
> According to Frontline, there is evidence of some
> ome improvement in some schools. I believe it. But,
> as we all know and as Frontline documents, the
> Education Mafia comprehensively defeated the
> reformers politically. The only reasonable
> expectation is a speedy return to status quo ante,
> and Rhee's tiny perturbation of the system probably
> has already dampened to nothing.

That is generally what happens to perturbations in complex systems, as anyone will tell you who understands system.

> Such has been the case in every other reform
> orm effort, for example: California, as Wayne Bishop
> knows only too well.

The 'knowledge' that you speak of is entirely specious, as all of us know only too well.

> To my friends on the right side of the debate I
> e I say again: reform of the existing system is
> impossible.

Well, maybe. But shouting from the rooftops "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" has not made it any more possible, either.

To all on any side of the debate that wishes actually to "Improve the US educational system" (and not merely sloganeer about it), I say again: there are practical means readily available to help you improve the system (any system) - "AS A SYSTEM". Seek them out. Learn to use them in practical ways. In just a few years, you will have the systems that you richly deserve. No sloganeering, no shouting needed at all - which will also get you just the systems you richly deserve.

> If we want to do something constructive,
> if we want to avoid the specter, a generation from
> now, of people just like us (our own children) in
> forums just like this one carrying on the same
> debates in virtually the same words, we must, must,
> must explore alternatives to the sisyphean job of
> reform.
>
> Must.
>
> Haim
> No representation without taxation.

"Must, must, must, must...". Well, do go right on full tilt ahead.

We know that male elephants in mating frenzy sometimes go into "musth", during which period they become uncontrollable: reason and commonsense means nothing to them. Your frenzy seems to have lasted all of years (alas to no purpose whatsoever).

Rational folk might try things like "Improving the US educational system" and *working out* what may be the THINGS TO DO that would best contribute to that most (not "must") worthwhile goal.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
1/9/13
Read Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
GS Chandy
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Wayne Bishop
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
GS Chandy
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
GS Chandy
1/10/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
israeliteknight
1/10/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/10/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Domenico Rosa
1/11/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Wayne Bishop
1/10/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/11/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Wayne Bishop
1/11/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Robert Hansen
1/11/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
GS Chandy
1/11/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/11/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/12/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/12/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/13/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/14/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/14/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/14/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/17/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
GS Chandy
1/15/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/15/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/16/13