Topic: Matheology § 185
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 9, 2013 3:04 PM

Scott Berg

Re: Matheology � 185

"WM" <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote in message
Matheology § 185

>Sir Arthur Eddington (1882 - 1944): There was just one place where
>(Einstein's) theory did not seem to work properly, and that was -
>infinity. I think Einstein showed his greatness in the simple and
>drastic way in which he disposed of difficulties at infinity. He
>abolished infinity. ... Since there was no longer any infinity, there
>could be no difficulties at infinity.
>[Eli Maor: "To Infinity and Beyond. A Cultural History of the
>Infinite", Birkhäuser, Basel (1987) p. 221]
>
>Regards, WM

mad dog englishman

Sir Arthur Eddington, The Philosophy of Physical Science;

"For the truth of the conclusions of physical science, observation is the
supreme Court of Appeal. It does not follow that every item which we
confidently accept as physical knowledge has actually been certified by the
Court; our confidence is that it would be certified by the Court if it were
submitted from a Court. But it does follow that every item of physical
knowledge is of a form which might be submitted to the Court. It must be
such that we can specify or think about (although it may be impracticable to
carry out) an observational procedure which would decide whether it is true
or not or partially. Clearly a statement cannot be tested by observation
unless it is an assertion about the results of observation or not. Every
item of physical knowledge must therefore be an assertion or partial belief
of what has been or would be the result of carrying out a specified
observational procedure or not".