Topic: Issue Isn't Common Core; It's Common Implementation
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 10, 2013 11:17 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Issue Isn't Common Core; It's Common Implementation

Jerry Becker posted Jan 10, 2013 5:34 AM:
> **********************************
> From Education Week [American Education's
> Newspaper of Record], Tuesday, January 8, 2013.
> See
> http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/john_wilson_unleashed/2
> 013/01/the_real_issue_isnt_common_core_its_common_impl
> ementation.html
> **********************************
> The Real Issue Isn't Common Core; It's Common
> Implementation
>
> By John Wilson

<SNIP>
The article ("The Real Issue Isn't Common Core; It's Common Implementation"), while indeed quite useful, does not go quite deep enough.

The answer is actually, in many respects, much simpler than the article lets on:

That is to say, the answer is: "the REAL issue isn't 'Common Core' - it's just common sense!".

(Or rather, it's a matter of ensuring that you get common sense properly to bear on the complex issues and problems confronted in the field of education).

Some simple - but very comprehensive - means to ensure that this would happen (in practice, on the ground) are described in the attachments to my message at the thread "Democracy - how to achieve it?" -
http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536 .

To be honest about it, I might mention that Haim and Robert Hansen have often sniped severely at the tools I propose for the resolution of such complex issues as the designing of effective educational systems.

(To be even more honest about it, I should mention that I for one consider the sneering disapproval of Haim and Robert Hansen to constitute, in fact, the highest commendation that could be obtained).

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy