Topic: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Replies: 28   Last Post: Jan 17, 2013 7:25 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee

Responding to Haim's post dt. Jan 11, 2013 6:13 AM (pasted below my signature for ready reference):

And your 'solution' to handle all those complex problems noted?

"PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" (!!!)
(This despite the main underlying problems already being known to you - and you being fully aware that the above just cannot work.

(Just as the underlying problems are mostly pretty well known to all those highly intelligent people who've been 'handling' or trying to come to grips with educational issues).

Do you - at this stage of your and the USA's life in education - HONESTLY and TRULY believe this kind of simplistic 'solution' will ever help resolve the host of complex issues involved? Or are you just attempting to pull the wool over someone's (/everyone's) eyes?

Quoting Haim:
> Furthermore, I think that intelligent
> people like Gates, like Broad, and probably Rhee,
> know this. So, my question, now as always, is: I
> wonder what they are really after.

My question too: I too tend to wonder what YOU are really after.

What's your real game?

Actually resolving the difficulties in US education will only involve effectively 'integrating' the good ideas about US education that are already available to the stakeholders in US education - and firmly rejecting the nonsensical ideas such as:

"PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!"

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

Haim posted Jan 11, 2013 6:13 AM:
> MPG Posted: Jan 9, 2013 7:12 PM
>

> >Must be a big day for grist. Here's even MORE for
> Haim's
> >mill:
> >http://bit.ly/TLNbqI

> >> From Bruce Baker's school finance blog: "RheeFormy
>
> >> Logic & Goofball Rating Schemes: Comments &
> Analysis
> >> on the Students First State Policy Grades"
> >With all this grist about the fabulous Ms. Rhee,
>
> To me, Rhee is just one more example of failed
> d reform. True, she is a particularly interesting
> example because of the extraordinary political
> support she enjoyed for approximately four years, but
> that just proves my point all the better: reform is
> not the way.
>
> The history of education reform is long and
> d detailed. It is a history of unrelieved failure.
> Precisely because this history is so well known, when
> somebody comes along, like a Walter Annenberg, Bill
> Gates, Eli Broad, or Michelle Rhee, and claims to
> want to reform the existing public school system, I
> wonder what they are really after.
>
> For example, Bill Gates never did in his business
> s career what he is doing in education reform. In
> business, if Gates had assembled a team to accomplish
> a task, and that team had failed comprehensively,
> would he give them even more money to keep on doing
> what they were doing? I think not. Gates would
> conclude that either he does not have the right
> people for the job or there is something
> fundamentally wrong with the job. One way or another,
> there would be some radical changes, and rather
> quickly, too. This is the history of successful
> business enterprise ("sunk costs", "don't throw good
> money after bad", "never reinforce defeat", etc.),
> yet, as soon as it comes to education reform, these
> very same titans of industry pump their money into
> the pockets of the architects of failure and keep on
> doing so, seemingly forever. Whatever is really going
> on with Gates and Broad and Annenberg, etc., I can
> only guess at, but I am damn sure of what is not
> going on: these men are not real!
> ly interested in improving the public school system.
>
> Just the same with Michelle Rhee. Maybe, Rhee wants
> s to do well by doing good, in which case: good on
> her, but who cares, since nothing can come of it?
> Maybe, Rhee just wants her piece of the
> Educo-Political pie, as Charles Pierce implies, in
> which case she is just one more cog in the Old World
> Order.
>
> Whatever the truth about Rhee, I could not care
> e less. Well, alright, I admit I watched her efforts
> with some hope and interest, but if pressed, I would
> have bet against her and given odds, to boot. My
> contention, now as before---years before the tenure
> of Michelle Rhee as doyenne of the DC public
> schools---is that reform of the existing system is
> impossible. Furthermore, I think that intelligent
> people like Gates, like Broad, and probably Rhee,
> know this. So, my question, now as always, is: I
> [...]

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
1/9/13
Read Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
GS Chandy
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Wayne Bishop
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
GS Chandy
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/9/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
GS Chandy
1/10/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
israeliteknight
1/10/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/10/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Domenico Rosa
1/11/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Wayne Bishop
1/10/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/11/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Wayne Bishop
1/11/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Robert Hansen
1/11/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
GS Chandy
1/11/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/11/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/12/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/12/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/13/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/14/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/14/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/14/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Haim
1/17/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
GS Chandy
1/15/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/15/13
Read Re: Frontline: The Education of Michelle Rhee
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/16/13