Topic: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun

Replies: 40   Last Post: Jan 17, 2013 11:45 AM

Haim

Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun

Robert Hansen Posted: Jan 10, 2013 12:33 PM

>> On Jan 10, 2013, at 12:02 PM, GS Chandy
>> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Can RH provide ANY data at all to demonstrate the
>> validity of his claim that OPMS is just "petty list-
>> making - and nothing else"???

>Yes, certainly. You have been trying to sell OPMS to the
>world for at least 20 years and all you have to show for
>that is a single anecdotal story of a relative using it
>once.

Not so, Bob. Perhaps you have forgotten that GS and I conducted a demonstration of OPMS in this very forum. First, my own conclusion about OPMS,

- ---------------------------
Ah! I get it, finally. OPMS is not a method of analysis, like a flow chart or a decision table, it is a method of persuasion. That is why you cannot present to us the results of an OPMS analysis. The process is the result. That is why process is everything to you. That is why OPMS is an endless road to nowhere. That is why your writings have less the flavor of an engineer working on a physical problem and much, much more the flavor of a psychologist who wants everyone in the same room, sharing feelings. Everyone's feelings are equally valid, and you are not looking for an optimal outcome except insofar as consensus is optimal, whatever that consensus might be.
- ------------------------------

Now, the main part of the "Live Demonstration" starts here,
http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2308842&tstart=0
and here,

Unfortunately, for reasons I have never investigated, discussion threads on Math-Teach become fragmented and orphaned. To follow the entire Demonstration requires some perseverence.

Finally, the Live Demonstration continues on a bit in the thread, "Towards an effective public school system for US" Was: "Live Demo..."
http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?forumID=206&threadID=2335906&messageID=7652351#7652351
wherein I again conclude,

"At this point, it should be apparent to anyone who has had the patience and the stamina (and the poor judgement) to follow our preposterous conversation that OPMS is a slow, painful road to nowhere."

Haim
No representation without taxation.

Date Subject Author
1/9/13
Read Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/9/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/9/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/10/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/9/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
GS Chandy
1/10/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/10/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/10/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/14/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Louis Talman
1/14/13
[...]
1/11/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/10/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Haim
1/11/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
GS Chandy
1/14/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/15/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/15/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Louis Talman
1/15/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/16/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Greg Goodknight
1/15/13
[...]
kirby urner