Topic: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun

Replies: 40   Last Post: Jan 17, 2013 11:45 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun

Responding to Haim's post Jan 11, 2013 9:54 AM (copied below my signature for ready reference):

With due respect for MPG's request to take any discussions of OPMS off this thread, I state only:

Haim's statement are quite as false and foolish as is his fatuous recommendation for US public school education:

"PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!"

If our Moderator would kindly permit, I shall start a 'New Topic' that will properly demonstrate the falsity (and foolishness) of Haim's asseverations as pasted below my signature - AND which will also serve, at least superficially, to indicate how an effective Action Plan could be created for any *worthwhile* Mission for your education system. (In a little while, as right now I'm busy preparing for a workshop). *"Worthwhile" means VERY DIFFERENT FROM Haim's fatuous recommendation.

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

Haim posted Jan 11, 2013 9:54 AM

> Robert Hansen Posted: Jan 10, 2013 12:33 PM
>

> >> On Jan 10, 2013, at 12:02 PM, GS Chandy
> >> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Can RH provide ANY data at all to demonstrate the
> >> validity of his claim that OPMS is just "petty

> list-
> >> making - and nothing else"???
> >
> >Yes, certainly. You have been trying to sell OPMS to

> the
> >world for at least 20 years and all you have to show
> for
> >that is a single anecdotal story of a relative using
> it
> >once.
>
> Not so, Bob. Perhaps you have forgotten that GS
> GS and I conducted a demonstration of OPMS in this
> very forum. First, my own conclusion about OPMS,
>
> - ---------------------------
> Ah! I get it, finally. OPMS is not a method of
> analysis, like a flow chart or a decision table, it
> is a method of persuasion. That is why you cannot
> present to us the results of an OPMS analysis. The
> process is the result. That is why process is
> everything to you. That is why OPMS is an endless
> road to nowhere. That is why your writings have less
> the flavor of an engineer working on a physical
> problem and much, much more the flavor of a
> psychologist who wants everyone in the same room,
> sharing feelings. Everyone's feelings are equally
> valid, and you are not looking for an optimal outcome
> except insofar as consensus is optimal, whatever that
> consensus might be.
> - ------------------------------
>
> Now, the main part of the "Live Demonstration"
> on" starts here,
> http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2308842&t
> start=0
> and here,
>
> Unfortunately, for reasons I have never investigated,
> discussion threads on Math-Teach become fragmented
> and orphaned. To follow the entire Demonstration
> requires some perseverence.
>
> Finally, the Live Demonstration continues on a bit
> bit in the thread, "Towards an effective public
> school system for US" Was: "Live Demo..."
> http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?forumID=206&thread
> ID=2335906&messageID=7652351#7652351
> wherein I again conclude,
>
> "At this point, it should be apparent to anyone who
> o has had the patience and the stamina (and the poor
> judgement) to follow our preposterous conversation
> that OPMS is a slow, painful road to nowhere."
>
> Haim
> No representation without taxation.

Date Subject Author
1/9/13
Read Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/9/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/9/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/10/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/9/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
GS Chandy
1/10/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/10/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/10/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/14/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Louis Talman
1/14/13
[...]
1/11/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/10/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Haim
1/11/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
GS Chandy
1/14/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/15/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/15/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Louis Talman
1/15/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fun
Robert Hansen
1/16/13
Read Re: Update about "The community of mathematics educators: Join in
defending fun
Greg Goodknight
1/15/13
[...]
kirby urner