Topic: forcing intel floating registers to use 64-bit arithmetic
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 10:48 PM

mecej4

Re: forcing intel floating registers to use 64-bit arithmetic

On 1/11/2013 2:46 PM, Tom Stockfisch wrote:
> I need to force all double precision calculations to proceed strictly in 64-bit -- no 80-bit
> intel register arithmetic. Can someone tell me the current function calls or
> command line settings to achieve this on both MacOS and linux?
>
> I need this to be able to track down platform-dependent differences in numerical code.

Check whether you have any functions that return float/double/real
values. By convention, on X86/X64, the value is returned in register
st0, even if the "legacy" x87 FPU unit is not used for any floating
point calculations.

-- mecej4