Topic: Seattle Ballard High School teachers have followed suit: No MAP
test!

Replies: 7   Last Post: Jan 13, 2013 9:36 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Seattle Ballard High School teachers have followed suit: No MAP test!

MPG posted Jan 12, 2013 7:30 PM:

> http://bit.ly/XsO6wa

I'm certain that I (sitting 8000 or more miles away in India; living in totally a different situation) don't fully understand many of the issues underlying 'testing' in US public school education and the grand mal furore around it.

However, I did look at the link MPG had posted and quite carefully read through all of the report published in 'Seattle Education'. There will be a lot there that is more meaningful for US stakeholders; but I was particularly struck by the following:

> The MAP test was purchased under corrupt crony-ist
> circumstances (Our former superintendent, while
> employed by Seattle Public Schools (SPS) sat on the
> corporation board of NWEA, the purveyor of the MAP
> test. This was undisclosed to her employer. The initial
> MAP test was purchased in a no-bid, non-competitive
> process.)

Now THAT sounds very familiar indeed. It's much like something that often happens in India, whereby 'crony capital'-ists - major bugbears of ours here in India - routinely loot TTTTTTThousands of MMMMMMMillions of rupees from the public exchequer, in disparate fields of endeavour.

There have been HUGE scandals here (several still going on) relating to the selling at low costs of the nation's resources of coal-mining blocks to mining companies (and enabling them to evade environment protection laws); of allocating 'spectrum in the airwaves' to various phone and communication companies' under extremely dubious circumstances; and the like.

Government Ministers and other bureaucrats from the one side along with Corporate Honchoes from the other have been jailed.

Much else.

Now, on re-reading the entire document linked to by MPG (sometimes 'between the lines'), I found a lot that I DID understand in it! I then went to the link provided in the Seattle Ballard High School teachers' document to a document showing the plaint made by teachers of the 'Garfield High School', and there I found, Lo! and Behold!:

> The MAP test was originally introduced by then
> superintendent Maria Goodloe-Johnson while she was a
> board member of the Northwest Evaluation Association,
> the company that sells the MAP. When Dr. Goodloe-
> Johnson was fired, the MAP somehow survived the
> housecleaning. We object to having to give a test
> whose existence in our district is the result of
> scandal.
> (From http://seattleducation2010.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/the-letter-from-the-teachers-at-garfield-high-school-regarding-the-map-test/ )

Both documents are well worth reading by genuine stakeholders in US education (who will doubtless better understand them and then know what to do about integrating appropriate action into what they will do with US education).

The following questions are all for Haim:

I wonder, Haim, does your trenchant call to
"PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!"
have anything to do with cases like these?

Why do you shout ONLY against the 'Education Mafia'?

Do private companies selling 'testing' constitute part of what you'd identify as the 'Education Mafia'?

Is it possible that teachers (possibly regular members of Teachers' Unions) are also, by such complaints as noted above, trying to do much good for US public school education - as seems evident from the above?

Is it appropriate that former 'superintendents of US public school education systems' take board positions in companies selling 'testing' to US public school education?

Is it 'appropriate' that private companies take such people on their boards? Is this kind of 'system within the system' something that deserves further inquiry?

[This kind of behavior by private enterprise is something with implications that reach FAR beyond 'educational systems'].

Should not our systems regulate against this kind of behavior (without being accused of 'stifling private enterprise')?

Could any or all of the above be considered to constitute 'crony capitalism' (CC)?

In your opinion, is CC good for US public school education? For the USA as a whole? Do you know of any CC going on in your US systems?

What about demanding that a whole lot of people and private companies - which seem to be looting public resources (such as the private companies involved in testing, as indicated above) - what about demanding that they too be put in jail/otherwise acted against?

If you're not interested in doing any of the things that may be suggested by the above:

"What's YOUR game?"

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")
P.S.: Reference Haim's http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8054455
and http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2335245 where he had made some invidious and untenable claims against the OPMS: it will take a little while (as I am also fairly busy otherwise); however I shall soon be responding regarding those claims of Haim's, in a special thread I shall create for the purpose - which I do hope would be passed by our Moderator. The new thread will have some ideas (from US stakeholders) that would be useful to help improve US public education systems.

Message was edited by: GS Chandy