Topic: SAD NEWS - PHIL WAGREICH
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 13, 2013 9:58 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: SAD NEWS - PHIL WAGREICH

Jerry Becker posted Jan 13, 2013 4:56 AM:
> ****************************
> From the Chicago Sun-Times, Sunday, January 6, 2013.
> . See
> http://legacy.suntimes.com/obituaries/chicagosuntimes/
> obituary-print.aspx?n=philip-wagreich&pid=162154242
> ****************************
> Obituary
>
> Philip Wagreich

<SNIP>
I don't recall that I had ever formally met Phil Wagreich. However, reading between the lines of his obit that Jerry Becker has kindly made available here, I believe he might well have been a Junior/Senior undergraduate at Brandeis University when I was in graduate school there.

From his obit, I see that he was most keenly interested in "revitalizing education", in particular 'math education'. He took a number of significant steps in this direction - he was a "national leader in math education and was retired director of the University of Illinois at Chicago Institute for Mathematics and Science Education".

His own specialization was in algebraic geometry - so it is quite possible that I might have had some minor contact with him as I was keenly interested in it while I was at Brandeis and did attend a few seminars and workshops on topics in algebraic geometry.

I understand Wagreich played a key role in setting up what has become the "Learning Sciences and Research Institute" (LSRI) at the University of Illinois at Chicago - which has set its Mission "to impact educational practice through research, development, and outreach".

Given all of the above, I guess Haim would place Phil Wagreich amongst the ranks of his infamous 'Education Mafia'?

Whatever: while doing some background checking on the above, I happened to come across: "Key Issues for the Mathematics Community: Key Questions for Mathematics" - http://mathforum.org/social/key.questions.html. I have not studied this as yet. My initial glance shows me that it contains some truly fascinating material, and for that reason I have provided the link to it here: I believe many Math-teach participants would find it most interesting as well (for purposes of improving math education, which some of us here claim cannot be done by any departure from the 'traditional').

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Message was edited by: GS Chandy