Topic: forcing intel floating registers to use 64-bit arithmetic
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 10:48 PM

Thomas Koenig

Re: forcing intel floating registers to use 64-bit arithmetic

Tom Stockfisch <tomstockfisch@gmail.com> schrieb:
> I need to force all double precision calculations to proceed strictly in 64-bit -- no 80-bit
> intel register arithmetic. Can someone tell me the current function calls or
> command line settings to achieve this on both MacOS and linux?

You can

a) not use Intel or 680xx processors (ok, the Mac you'll have to
use will be rather old :-)

b) Run in 64-bit mode - the x86_64 programs don't use the old
80-bit registers.

c) This becomes compiler dependent; with gcc, use -ffloat-store and
make sure to use lots of intermediate variables.