Topic: Aligning graphics on frame boundaries
Replies: 6   Last Post: Jan 16, 2013 11:14 PM

Vince Virgilio

Re: Aligning graphics on frame boundaries

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:51:10 PM UTC-5, Bruce Shore wrote:
> I would like to align, within GraphicsColumn, two or more plots on their
> frame boundaries, using Mathematica 7. Back in Jan 2008 this question
> was raised by Szabolcs Horv=E1t, so maybe it is answered, but I do not
> find the answer in the archives, only the question.
> My question is the same as his: I have two or more plots, with different
> aspect ratios or with different labels, so the images are not the same
> size. I want to align the left and right right sides of the frames in a
> GraphicsColumn. I use ImagePadding but this is very clumsy and has to be
> redone for every set of frames. Mathematica uses, for all its sizings,
> the complete outline of the figure, with labels and so on, not just the
> frame. For publications the frames have to be aligned.

This has always been awkward to do. Though the ImagePadding approach may suffice for many cases, it works at the wrong level of abstraction.

WRI should consider a new Alignment option value of "Axes", "Frame", or "PlotRegion" in the Column and Grid family of commands.