Topic: wrong result when computing a definite integral
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jan 14, 2013 12:01 AM

Alex Krasnov

Re: wrong result when computing a definite integral

I should have probably read the problem before posting. There should be no
issue with branches, since Exp is single-valued. Interestingly, the
incorrect result differs by a phase factor of (-2+Sqrt[3])*Pi.

I also noticed that the documentation states that Integrate computes
multiple integrals. It actually computes interated integrals in prefix
notation:

Integrate[f, y, x] <=> Integrate[dy*Integrate[dx*f]]

This is clear from the following example:

In: Integrate[(x^2-y^2)/(x^2+y^2)^2, {y, 0, 1}, {x, 0, 1}]
Out: -Pi/4

In: Integrate[(x^2-y^2)/(x^2+y^2)^2, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]
Out: Pi/4

Since multiple and iterated integrals are equal only through Fubini's
theorem and similar results, perhaps the documentation should be
corrected.

Alex