Topic: Year Round School
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jan 14, 2013 9:28 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Year Round School

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jan 13, 2013 11:23 PM (GSC's remarks at end):
> A push for year round school...
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/longer-school-help-hurt-us-stude
> nts-131056148.html
>
> "Proponents argue that too much knowledge is lost
> while American kids wile away the summer months apart
> from their lessons. The National Summer Learning
> Association cites decades of research that shows
> students' test scores are higher in the same subjects
> at the beginning of the summer than at the end.
>
> The research is very clear about that," said Charles
> Ballinger, executive director emeritus of the
> National Association for Year-Round School in San
> Diego. "The only ones who don't lose are the upper 10
> to 15 percent of the student body. Those tend to be
> gifted, college-bound, they're natural learners who
> will learn wherever they are."
>
> First off, I am not against more time in school for
> those that need it and can benefit by it. But it
> needs to be optional. Why not bring back summer
> school? In that model, a student could be told to
> attend if they were struggling, or attend if they or
> their parents felt it would help.
>
> Also, we need options. The other countries we keep
> comparing ourselves to have half their kids going off
> on vocational career paths.
>
> At least Ballinger realizes understands the notion of
> college bound.
>
> Bob Hansen

Terrific! This is *effective* problem solving at its best!

Why not, while they're about it, run school 24x7, i.e., for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - for ALL 365 days of the year?

THAT would surely do the needed trick!

I guess no one will ever think of trying to make the process of 'learning + teaching' more effective? THAT is surely beyond anyone's imagining!

RH prefers 'year-round school' to be entirely voluntary.

Haim remarked: "You sweet, naive man!"

I'd put it somewhat differently, but let it stand.

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")