Topic: What Can Be Done About Student Cheating?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 14, 2013 9:11 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: What Can Be Done About Student Cheating?

Responding to Jerry Becker's post dt Jan 15, 2013 2:59 AM (the fascinating story is pasted below my signature for ready reference):

1. The question in the title is not exactly answered in the text - though there are some useful hints. Most of those hints are in line with the idea that it is essential to get all the 'stakeholders' properly involved.

2. One thing is for certain (in my opinion): Simplistic 'solutions' - like, for instance, "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" - are not likely to work.

3. (In my opinion), the single most important insight may lie in the following:

> Student are less likely to cheat if they believe that
> their school
> values real mastery of a subject, as opposed to an
> overemphasis on
> rote memorization or how you do on a test.

4. (In my opinion), application of the OPMS approach would help very significantly to curb this 'cultural tendency to cheat'.

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")
+++
Jerry Becker posted Jan 15, 2013 2:59 AM: