The Math Forum

Topic: expectated value
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jan 15, 2013 9:44 PM

Torsten

Re: expectated value

"maryam" wrote in message <kd3p99$3qu$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> "Nasser M. Abbasi" wrote in message <kd34i6$p21$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> > On 01/15/2013 01:47 AM, maryam wrote:
> > > Dear friens
> > > I would like calculate the expectated value (E(.)) of a 1-by-1000 matrix
> > > {E(x)=sigma x*f(x)}
> > > how do I that?

> > Apply the definition of expected value?
> >
> > when you are not sure how to do something, always look up
> > the definition and go from there.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value
> >
> > If you have problem with implementing the defintion, then show
> > what you tried and where you are having problem.
> >
> > good luck,
> >
> > --Nasser

> --------------------
> I know the the definition of expected value but I cant implement it.
> assume a 1-by-n arbitrary matrix, what's its matlab code?
> thanks

A row of numbers does not have an expected value.
What you probably mean is an estimator for the expected value
of the random variable which produced the row of numbers.
Usually one takes
mean(A,2)
for this where A is your 1xn - matrix.

Best wishes