Topic: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?

Replies: 25   Last Post: Jan 16, 2013 2:36 PM

Dave L. Renfro

Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?

Dave L. Renfro wrote (in part):

> the fact that Hans thought to recommend Courant's book to her (given
> her situation) strikes me as really naive and out-of-touch. I'd like to
> say I'm stunned to find that a Ph.D. in physics would think Courant's
> book was appropriate for her, but unfortunately I'm not.

It occurs to me that it's easy to make a hit-and-run criticism like
this, and a bit difficult to offer an appropriate alternative. To this
end, I think the following books would have worked better for her:

Silvanus Phillips Thompson, "Calculus Made Easy", 2nd edition, 1914.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/33283/33283-pdf.pdf

David Berlinski, "A Tour of the Calculus", 1997.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0679747885

Dave L. Renfro

Date Subject Author
1/14/13
Read Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Richard Hake
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
GS Chandy
1/14/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Dave L. Renfro
1/14/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
GS Chandy
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Dave L. Renfro
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
Robert Hansen
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Louis Talman
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
Robert Hansen
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Louis Talman
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Dave L. Renfro
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Richard Hake
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/16/13