Topic: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?

Replies: 25   Last Post: Jan 16, 2013 2:36 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?

Other than your's (and mine) puzzlement over the author's statement regarding "working out the problems", isn't this just the expected and unavoidable consequence of people studying what they weren't meant to study, and then telling us of it?

Bob Hansen

On Jan 15, 2013, at 10:23 AM, Dave L. Renfro <renfr1dl@cmich.edu> wrote:

> Dave L. Renfro wrote (in part):

>> the fact that Hans thought to recommend Courant's book to her (given
>> her situation) strikes me as really naive and out-of-touch. I'd like to
>> say I'm stunned to find that a Ph.D. in physics would think Courant's
>> book was appropriate for her, but unfortunately I'm not.

> It occurs to me that it's easy to make a hit-and-run criticism like
> this, and a bit difficult to offer an appropriate alternative. To this
> end, I think the following books would have worked better for her:
>
> Silvanus Phillips Thompson, "Calculus Made Easy", 2nd edition, 1914.
> http://www.gutenberg.org/files/33283/33283-pdf.pdf
>
> David Berlinski, "A Tour of the Calculus", 1997.
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/0679747885
>
> Dave L. Renfro

Date Subject Author
1/14/13
Read Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Richard Hake
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
GS Chandy
1/14/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Dave L. Renfro
1/14/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
GS Chandy
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Dave L. Renfro
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
Robert Hansen
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Louis Talman
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
Robert Hansen
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Louis Talman
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Dave L. Renfro
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Richard Hake
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/16/13