Topic: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?

Replies: 25   Last Post: Jan 16, 2013 2:36 PM

Dave L. Renfro

Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?

Robert Hansen wrote:

> Other than your's (and mine) puzzlement over the author's statement regarding
> "working out the problems", isn't this just the expected and unavoidable
> consequence of people studying what they weren't meant to study, and then
> telling us of it?

Perhaps, but working through Courant's calculus text under those
circumstances borders on superhuman drive. She did say that it
was a Christmas present and that she worked through it "for love"
(of her husband), but I suspect even the average physics Ph.D.
(she said her husband is a physics Ph.D.), prior to learning calculus,
wouldn't have the drive to work through Courant's Calculus
on his/her own, even for love.

While I'm at it, here's another more suitable Christmas present
to go with the two books I've already suggested:

W. W. Sawyer, "What is Calculus About?", 1962.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0883856026

Dave L. Renfro

Date Subject Author
1/14/13
Read Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Richard Hake
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
GS Chandy
1/14/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Dave L. Renfro
1/14/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
GS Chandy
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Dave L. Renfro
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
Robert Hansen
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Louis Talman
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
Robert Hansen
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Louis Talman
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Dave L. Renfro
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Richard Hake
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/16/13