Topic: neighborhood operations on image
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 16, 2013 1:38 AM

Bill Rowe

Re: neighborhood operations on image

On 1/14/13 at 11:32 PM, siddys@gmail.com wrote:

>I am really impressed by the new set of image processing operations
>in Mathematica 9. I am, however, having trouble defining my own
>operations, and one of the things I do very frequently in another
>system, is neighborhood operations. I would like to do these things
>in Mathematica,and would like so help:

>How do I define a function that takes an Image, and performs
>operations, say, on a 3x3 nbdh for all pixels. I would like to use
>the functional programming paradigm. Filter is one such operation. I
>would love to see how Mathematica does it internally, but I am not
>able to find it.

There are a many ways within Mathematica to manipulate images
using a function based on any desired neighborhood for pixels
within that image.

Probably the function you want to use is ImageConvolve or a
related function such as ImageCorrelate.

If these are too high level, i.e., you want to manipulate the
image data directly, then there are functions like ListConvolve
or ListCorrelate. Both ListConvolve and ListCorrelate allow you
to specify arbitrary functions to operate on array elements (pixels).