Topic: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?

Replies: 25   Last Post: Jan 16, 2013 2:36 PM

Dave L. Renfro

Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?

GS Chandy wrote (in part):

> On considering that story in a little more depth, it seems to be
> almost ENTIRELY falsehood (or, at least, EXTREMELY strange):

I'm willing to believe that she wrote this rather quickly and
as a consequence didn't say exactly what she intended, but I
also think it's fair for others to comment on what she actually
wrote rather than guess at what she might have intended. In my
case, I made my original comments because I thought Courant's
calculus text might not be very well known among the readers
of math-teach and thus they might not realize that she *wasn't*
talking about one of the standard U.S. college texts on the
market.

Regarding my comments (implied elsewhere in this thread) about
those in scientific fields often not having an appropriate
awareness of the technical backgrounds of those not (or not yet)
in such fields, the following will be of interest. See especially
the last comment (my comment) in my answer to the poster's question.

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/78361/how-to-reach-the-next-level-of-mathematics

Note that to see all the comments under the poster's question,
you may have to select "add / show ... comments".

Dave L. Renfro

Date Subject Author
1/14/13
Read Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Richard Hake
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
GS Chandy
1/14/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Dave L. Renfro
1/14/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
GS Chandy
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Dave L. Renfro
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
Robert Hansen
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Louis Talman
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
Robert Hansen
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Louis Talman
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Dave L. Renfro
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Richard Hake
1/15/13
Read Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th
Grade?
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/16/13