Topic: function arity > 2
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jan 17, 2013 1:37 AM

JohnF

Re: function arity > 2

Butch Malahide <fred.gal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> JohnF <john@please.see.sig.for.email.com> wrote:
>>> Are there any functions f:N^3-->N (domain integers) that can't
>>> be decomposed into some g,h:N^2-->N, where f(i,j,k)=g(i,h(j,k))?

<big snip>

> See also Hilbert's 13th problem:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert%27s_thirteenth_problem

Thanks a lot, Fred. That certainly answers the question.
Kind of surprising, to me, anyway, that it makes Hilbert's list.
I'd tried googling before posting, but failed to construct
a query that coughed up any relevant hits. Still takes humans
to successfully do semantic searches. Thanks again,
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )