Topic: GA crossover, mutator and benchmark functions
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 17, 2013 7:50 AM

Alan Weiss

Re: GA crossover, mutator and benchmark functions

On 1/16/2013 11:27 PM, Dua wrote:
> 1) What is the minimum number of benchmark functions we are supposed
> to test on our newly develop crossover and mutation operators? If we
> want to compare the performance of 2 operators, must we use the same
> benchmark functions to test? How to identify the appropriate benchmark
> functions to test our operators? Or do I randomly test it on some
> standard benchmark functions? How to know which benchmark function is
> to test which category of operators?
>
> 2) There are many crossover and mutators introduced, what are the main
> features of these operators we must know to ensure that comparison
> among the operators are compatible? If I have a new discrete mutator,
> can I compare it with a polynomial mutator? If I have a new PCA
> mutator, can I compare it with a real coded mutator?
>
> 3) Is there a particular crossover and mutator to solve a particular
> optimization problem? What are the characteristics of the operators
> and the characteristics of the fitness functions which I must know to
> ensure that they are compatible to apply?
>
> 4) What are the main differences between the benchmark functions of
> scalable, non-scalable, unimodal and multimodal?

Information about crossover and mutation functions are here:
Overall outline of GA:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/gads/how-the-genetic-algorithm-works.html
Examples with more detail:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/gads/genetic-algorithm-examples.html#f13721
Details of mutation functions and custom mutation functions:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/gads/genetic-algorithm-options.html#f6633
Details of crossover:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/gads/genetic-algorithm-options.html#f7820

As far as I know, this is all the documentation we have on the subject.
If, after reviewing this material, you have a more specific question,
feel free to ask again.

Alan Weiss