Topic: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
Replies: 28   Last Post: Mar 17, 2013 12:16 AM

Dina Kushnir

RE: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
att1.html (7.7 K)

Becky Rury brings up a very good point. My principal thinks he is going to have to cancel all classes on those 2 exam days because of the need for classroom desks in testing locations AND the need for quiet hallways while students take their regents exams. Another issue that we thought of: If grading these new exams extends onto June 5, then the math teachers will need substitutes that day as well. If that happens, that means up to 3 possible days on which math students will lose instruction during the our last week of regular classes. Aargh!! How can we express our outrage over this? Is anyone at NYSED listening?

Dina Kushnir
Fayetteville-Manlius HS

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of becky rury
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:11 AM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: RE: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...

I'm retired, so shouldn't care, but where are they going to get the desks to administer the exams? Regular classes are still going on-- and our school used to empty classrooms to fill the gym with desks for exams......
> From: evanromer@gmail.com<mailto:evanromer@gmail.com>
> To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org<mailto:nyshsmath@mathforum.org>
> Subject: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 21:10:05 -0500
>
> ... and it's not pretty.
>
> The Common Core Regents exams in Algebra I, Geometry and ELA will be
> given June 3-4, which is two weeks before the start of Regents week.
> (The memo implies that this will be for the first year only, not every
> year. Presumably CC Algebra II will be given early in June 2015.)
>
> This is not presented as a draft exam schedule: it's presented as the
> exam schedule.
>
> http://www.p12.nysed.gov/assessment/schedules/schedule-hs.html
>
> So, in case we didn't already know this, NY considers the testing
> program more important than, you know, actual teaching and learning.
> Not only does this cut two weeks of instructional time for math, but
> it will disrupt other courses on those exam days.
>
> ----------
>
> The memo also states that the three "traditional" Regents Exams (Int
> Alg, Geo, A2T) will also be given in June 2014 and that the phase-out
> timeline for those exams has not been determined. Did we know that?
> It's news to me.
>
> Are those exam only being given so that students who studied the non-
> CC curriculum can take those exams? Or do districts have the option of
> delaying adoption of Common Core? In past curriculum transitions
> districts have had the option to wait, but from everything else we've
> seen on enageny (rhymes with progeny), I assume that waiting is not an
> option this time. Does anyone know?
>
> -----------
>
> Two smaller notes:
>
> The last 3 days of exams are just RCTs, plus Chem. That's new.
>
> The Int Alg, Geo and A2T Regents are all given on the same day, with
> Geo and A2T both in the afternoon. Is that good? Will there be a
> significant number of students taking both?
>

> Evan Romer
> Susquehanna Valley HS
> Conklin NY

> *

Date Subject Author
1/16/13
Read June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
Evan Romer
1/17/13
Read Re: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
ElizWaite@aol.com
1/17/13
Read Re: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
Roberta M. Eisenberg
1/17/13
Read Re: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
ElizWaite@aol.com
1/17/13
Read RE: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
Ryley David
1/17/13
Read RE: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
Tom Kenyon
1/17/13
Read RE: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
becky rury
1/17/13
Read RE: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
Dina Kushnir
1/17/13
Read RE: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
Daniel Knaisch
1/17/13
Read RE: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
Mark Burfield
precopio@nycap.rr.com
1/17/13
Read Re: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
precopio@nycap.rr.com
1/18/13
Read Re: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
sherry
1/18/13
Read Grading Jan Exams?
Tony George
1/18/13
Read Re: Grading Jan Exams?
Betty Worthington
1/18/13
Read RE: Grading Jan Exams?
Dianne Gizowski
1/18/13
Read RE: Grading Jan Exams?
Tom Kenyon
1/18/13
Read Re: Grading Jan Exams?
Kathleen Cefalo
1/18/13
Read RE: Grading Jan Exams?
Westendorf, Neal
1/20/13
Read RE: Grading Jan Exams?
Eleanor Pupko
1/20/13
Read Re: Grading Jan Exams?
MathCaryl@aol.com
1/18/13
Read RE: Grading Jan Exams?
cafg23@juno.com
1/18/13
Read RE: Grading Jan Exams?
Westendorf, Neal
1/17/13
Read Re: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
Sharon
1/17/13
Read Re: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
Sharon
1/22/13
Read Re: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
gWilkie@highlands.com
1/22/13
Read RE: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
Peggy Niforos
1/22/13
Read Re: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
ElizWaite@aol.com
3/17/13
Read Re: June 2014 Regents exam schedule is up ...
zobinta