Topic: Matlab GUIDE doesn't actually save handles to all components
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 17, 2013 1:28 PM

Steven Lord

Re: Matlab GUIDE doesn't actually save handles to all components

"Alexandr " <chechako@ovi.com> wrote in message
> Please, can anybody explain next features?!
>
> M-file code:
> function pushbutton1_Callback(hObject, eventdata, handles)
> handles.myValue=999;
> disp(5);
> disp(handles);
>
> If start this code from M-file with F5 button in the command windows
> shows:
>
> 5
> figure1: 173.0032
> pushbutton1: 179.0032
> axes1: 174.0032
> output: 173.0032
> myValue: 999
>
> But if start clicking the .fig file, you will see only:
>
> 5
> myValue: 999

The function file associated with the GUI includes initialization code that
MUST run before you interact with the GUI. Double-clicking the figure file
bypasses the function file and does not execute that initialization code.

ALWAYS start a GUIDE-generated GUI by executing the function file, NOT by
opening the figure.

> In Matlab HELP it is said:
> "When the GUI is fully initialized, the handles structure contains only
> handles to all the components in the GUI and custom data added in any
> CreatedFcn callbacks and/or the OpeningFcn."
>
> but at the same time I see error messages about missing fields in the
> handles structure.

Note the first part of that sentence. The GUI is only fully initialized once
the associated function file executes.

*snip*

--
Steve Lord