Topic: TraditionalForm Plot
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jan 25, 2013 1:34 AM

Bill Rowe

Re: TraditionalForm Plot

On 1/16/13 at 1:38 AM, b-hamburger@artinso.com (Berthold Hamburger)
wrote:

>No, I meant something like:

>f[x_] := 4 x^2 + 2 x + 5 // TraditionalForm f[x] Plot[f[x],
>{x,-\[Pi], \[Pi]}]

Why? What are you trying to accomplish?

If I want to send a print out or PDF version of a Mathematica
notebook to a colleague who doesn't have Mathematica and has no
experience with Mathematica, then I would select all input cells
and convert them to TraditionalForm (using cmd-shift-T on a Mac)
prior to printing or saving as PDF.

I have my notebook interface set so that input cells use
StandardForm and output cells use TraditionForm. I prefer this
since I don't need to remember special key combinations to enter
stuff into input cells with StandardForm like I would with
TraditionalForm. And I get output I find more readable without
the problems a wrapper causes which occurs when you explicitly do

f[x_] := 4 x^2 + 2 x + 5 // TraditionalForm

That is

In[3]:= f[x_] := 4 x^2 + 2 x + 5 // TraditionalForm

In[4]:= Head[f[x]]

Out[4]= TraditionalForm

which is why the Plot command you use above doesn't display the
expected plot.

Possibly what you want is something like

f[x_] := 4 x^2 + 2 x + 5
f[x]//TraditionalForm
Plot[f[x], {x,-\[Pi], \[Pi]}]

which would display the polynomial in traditional form and the
plot as well. By setting my default preferences to have output
cell display in TraditionalForm that is exactly what I get when
I type f[x] without using the //TraditionalForm postfix notation explicitly.