Topic: Mathematica and Lisp
Replies: 83   Last Post: Mar 5, 2013 10:12 PM

Noqsi

Re: Mathematica and Lisp

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:15:18 PM UTC-7, Richard Fateman wrote:

> If you want a term rewriting system, several of them (free, open source)
>
> have been written in Lisp. Anything that Mathematica can
>
> do computationally can be done, in principle, with any "Turing equivalent"
>
> programming language, and that includes Lisp.

Sure. You can write a term rewriting system in Cobol if you wish. But then, if you use it to write programs, you're no longer programming in Cobol.

> > f_[whoCalled]^:=f
>
> > Sin[whoCalled]
>

> Certainly such a feature could be implemented in a pattern-matching
>
> system written in Lisp.

But it's not a native construction in Lisp.

> Since most lisp implementations provide
>
> many "introspective" features including examining the run-time call
>
> stack, I think it would be possible to extract "who called me" from
>
> this information of the (complete) call stack.

But you're missing the point: Mathematica does this kind of thing naturally as a consequence of its design. Lisp does not.

> > which yields
>

> > Sin

Date Subject Author
1/11/13
Read Mathematica and Lisp
amzoti
1/12/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/12/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/14/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/14/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/18/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/22/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/22/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/24/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/25/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
W. Craig Carter
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/18/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/31/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Noqsi
2/2/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Daniel Lichtblau
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/2/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Andrzej Kozlowski
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/8/13
Read Palette problem with Feynman slash notation
Dave Snead
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Bill Rowe