Replies: 11   Last Post: Jan 18, 2013 9:58 PM

Jerry Epstein

Re: [math-learn] middle school math problems
att1.html (18.9 K)

It would be helpful to know some of the background that this test
assumes, that you believe most students don't have. Diagnostic testing I
have been doing for years proves beyond question that large majorities
of high school graduates are not competent in mathematics at the 8th
grade level if one asks for skills that are in any way beyond rote
memorization and very low level.
I have proved this 100 times over.
Nearly all assessments test only memorized procedures. They are
routinely passed by students who understand not a word of it. I have
shown this in testing of thousands of students in some 30 states, 3
provinces of Canada, and about 15 other countries. If any are interested
in testing students, you can get either the Basic Skills Diagnostic Test
(BSDT) or the Calculus Concept Inventory (CCI) by writing to me. Be
prepared for a shock.
A paper on the CCI has just been accepted by the Notices and will appear
in about 6 months.
Jerry Epstein