Topic: ZFC and God
Replies: 45   Last Post: Apr 18, 2013 3:47 AM

Aatu Koskensilta

Re: ZFC and God

Zuhair <zaljohar@gmail.com> writes:

> Harvey Friedman had presented several formulations of theories using
> some concepts in theology relative to which ZFC is provable to be
> consistent! So some kind of mentioning of the supernatural (or what is
> mutually interpretable with it!) is needed to prove ZFC's
> consistency.
>
> See: http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2013-January/016881.html
>
> Doesn't that say that mathematics following ZFC is only grounded in
> Mythology driven principles!

No. Friedman has explicitly stated he basically thinks whenever we
look into any field of human thought we will find basic, fundamental,
and natural principles which, when formalized, have the consistency
strength of set theory (possibly extended with some large cardinal
axioms). Presumably because his research into these matters is (partly?)
funded by the Templeton Foundation, he's chosen to illustrate this point
-- made previously in terms of "concept calculus" etc. -- by means of
vaguely theological bandying about of somewhat arbitrary formalism.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta@uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen"

Date Subject Author
1/21/13
Read ZFC and God
Zaljohar@gmail.com