Topic: object.vector(100) = 1
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 23, 2013 5:51 PM

Peter Mairhofer

Re: object.vector(100) = 1

Am 1/23/2013 7:22 AM, schrieb Steven_Lord:

> "Peter Mairhofer" <63832452@gmx.net> wrote in message

>> ... does this always re-allocate/copy the complete vector although it is
>> pre-allocated?
>>
>> classdef SampledSignal
>> properties (GetAccess = 'public', SetAccess = 'public')
>> data;
>> end
>>
>> methods
>> function this = set.data(this, vector)
>> [...]
>> this.data = vector(:);
>> end
>> end
>>
>> methods
>> function this = SampledSignal(N)
>> [...]
>> this.data = zeros(N, 1);
>> end
>> end
>>
>> x = SampledSignal;
>> for n=1:N
>> x.data(n) = func(n);
>> end
>>
>> takes forever;

> It calls your set.data method N times. If you had a get.data method as
> well, it too would be called N times. If N is large, that could take a
> while.
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_oop/property-access-methods.html#brh8ht7
>

>> x = SampledSignal;
>> data = x.data;
>> for n=1:N
>> data(n) = func(n);
>> end
>> x.data = data;
>>
>> takes "only" 30 seconds on my old machine.
>> Why?

> This calls your set.data method 1 time on the last line and a get.data
> method (if you have one) 1 time on the second line.
>
> How large a value of N are you using? How long does 1 call to set.data
> take? If you let it run about 30 seconds plus (N-1)*(duration of a
> set.data call) [for a smaller value of N] does the first code complete
> its execution?

Hi,

Thanks for the hint.
N=10000 in one case.

EDU>> tic, x.data(1000); toc
Elapsed time is 0.000568 seconds.
EDU>> tic, x.data(1000) = 1; toc
Elapsed time is 0.033976 seconds.
EDU>> tic, x.data(1000) = 1; toc
Elapsed time is 0.002470 seconds.
EDU>> tic, x.data(1000) = 1; toc
Elapsed time is 0.004774 seconds.
EDU>> 10000*0.004774

ans =

47.7400

EDU>> tic, x.data(1000:1010) = 1; toc
Elapsed time is 0.002075 seconds.
EDU>> tic, x.data(1000:1010) = 1; toc
Elapsed time is 0.002514 seconds.
EDU>> tic, x.data(1000:1010) = 1; toc
Elapsed time is 0.002514 seconds.
EDU>> tic, x.data(1000:1010) = 1; toc
Elapsed time is 0.002511 seconds.
EDU>> tic, x.data(1000:1010) = 1; toc
Elapsed time is 0.002522 seconds.
EDU>> tic, x.data(1000:1010) = 1; toc
Elapsed time is 0.001552 seconds.
EDU>> 0.001552*10000

ans =

15.5200

It's still much more that it actually takes (I just cancel because it
takes minutes) but I'll just not use obj.x(n) assignments ...

Thanks
Peter