Topic: trace map is surjective
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jan 24, 2013 8:47 AM

Timothy Murphy

Re: trace map is surjective

Rupert wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can find a proof that, given a separable
> quadratic extension of a field of characteristic two, the trace map is
> surjective?

I may have misunderstood the question, but isn't

tr(ac) = a tr(c)

if a is in the ground-field and c in the extension field?
So if the trace was not surjective, it would have to be identically zero,
which I think it is easy to see is not the case.
(Eg if c has minimal equation f(x) = 0 the trace is the x coefficient.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net