Topic: Matheology § 200
Replies: 40   Last Post: Jan 29, 2013 7:33 PM

William Hughes

Re: Matheology § 200

On Jan 26, 9:24 am, WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> Matheology § 200
>
> We know that the real numbers of set theory are very different from
> the real numbers of analysis, at least most of them, because we cannot
> use them. But it seems, that also the natural numbers of analysis 1,
> 2, 3, ... are different from the cardinal numbers 1, 2, 3, ...
>
> This is a result of the story of Tristram Shandy, mentioned briefly in
> § 077 already, who, according to Fraenkel and Levy ["Abstract Set
> Theory" (1976), p. 30] "writes his autobiography so pedantically that
> the description of each day takes him a year. If he is mortal he can
> never terminate; but if he lived forever then no part of his biography
> would remain unwritten, for to each day of his life a year devoted to
> that day's description would correspond."
>
> This result is counter-intuitive,

Correct. But counter-intuitive does not mean contradictory.
Outside of Wolkenmeukenheim, the limit of cardinalites is not
necessarily equal to the cardinality of the limit.

Date Subject Author
1/26/13
Read Matheology § 200
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de