Topic: Why all high school courses should be elective
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 26, 2013 2:17 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why all high school courses should be elective

Responding to Jerry Becker's post dt. Jan 25, 2013 12:42 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2430804), I read with keen interest Marion Brady's view on this suggestion, as quoted by Valerie Strauss in her Washington Post article.

I still have my mind open on the issue (while agreeing with Marion Brady that there certainly should be a WHOLE LOT MORE that should be elective in the high school curriculum than is currently the case). [I'd guess that Brady is more or less correct in his opinion - but I would want that opinion to be confirmed through *EFFECTIVE* discussion by the community of stakeholders in high-school education: such discussion would happen as a default if the 'One Page Management System' (OPMS) approach were to be used in the design process: information about the OPMS is available at the attachments to my post at http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536 ].

I was. however, piqued by the dismissive views of some of our Math-teach participants in respect of Marion Brady's thoughts on education (in some previous threads) - and I therefore went to his site http://www.marionbrady.com/ , from where I downloaded and studied his "Connections: Investigating Reality" (and I have carefully looked at several of his other works that are available there).

I find that Brady's ideas on education are most valuable indeed. They are well worth careful study; and, subsequently, implementation in educational systems. I believe that much of the dispute in regard to the 'Common Core' (CCSS) and etc would more or less automatically resolve themselves through understanding and use of Brady's ideas.

The 'Brady educational system' is, in a few respects, somewhat different from the systems that would develop through application of the 'One Page Management System' (OPMS) to the issue of education - but the differences are, in fact, only in some relatively unimportant details. These probably arise because of the difference in the way he arrives at his ideas on education.

GSC

Jerry Becker posted Jan 25, 2013 12:42 AM