Topic: Matheology § 200
Replies: 40   Last Post: Jan 29, 2013 7:33 PM

J. Antonio Perez M.

Re: Matheology § 200

On Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:24:04 AM UTC+2, WM wrote:
> Matheology § 200
>

> We know that the real numbers of set theory are very different from
>
> the real numbers of analysis, at least most of them, because we cannot
>
> use them. But it seems, that also the natural numbers of analysis 1,
>
> 2, 3, ... are different from the cardinal numbers 1, 2, 3, ...
>

> This is a result of the story of Tristram Shandy, mentioned briefly in
>
> § 077 already, who, according to Fraenkel and Levy ["Abstract Set
>
> Theory" (1976), p. 30] "writes his autobiography so pedantically that
>
> the description of each day takes him a year. If he is mortal he can
>
> never terminate; but if he lived forever then no part of his biography
>
> would remain unwritten, for to each day of his life a year devoted to
>
> that day's description would correspond."
>

> This result is counter-intuitive, but set theory needs the feature of
>
> completeness for the enumeration of all rational numbers. If not all
>
> could be enumerated, the same cardinality of |Q and |N could not be
>
> proved.
>

> However recently a formal contradiction with the corresponding limit
>
> of real analysis could be shown:
>
> http://planetmath.org/?op=getobj&from=objects&id=12607
>
> and here
>
> http://www.hs-augsburg.de/medium/download/oeffentlichkeitsarbeit/publikationen/forschungsbericht_2012.pdf
>
> on p. 242 - 244
>
> The limit of remaining unwritten days is infinite according to
>
> analysis whereas Fraenkel's story is approved by set theory.
>

> Nevertheless, matheologians deny every contradiction. One of them,
>
> Michael Greinecker (as a self-proclaimed watchdog, and bouncer in
>
> MathOverflow
>
> http://meta.mathoverflow.net/discussion/1296/crank-post-to-flag-as-spam/#Item_0
>
> an interbreeding of Tomás de Torquemada and Lawrenti Beria) stated:
>
> "there is no contradiction. Just a somewhat surprising result.

Poor WM: his last intent to have some of his trash published in SE received a rather quick "close thread" and, as with any otherclsoed threads, it vanished into oblivion.

Oh, well: perhaps next time.

Tonio

"It's tough to be a crank in SE, dudes!"

Date Subject Author
1/26/13
Read Matheology § 200
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de