Topic: What am I missing here?
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jan 28, 2013 11:03 AM

gautamsethi@gmail.com

Re: What am I missing here?

On Saturday, January 26, 2013 8:53:06 PM UTC-5, Roger Stafford wrote:
> Gautam Sethi <gautamsethi@gmail.com> wrote in message <e0cb6636-306e-4239-a3c6-be062decdcea@googlegroups.com>...
>

> > Folks, this is driving me nuts! Can someone explain what may be going on? ......

> Welcome to the world of binary arithmetic, which is what your computer is using. It cannot get an exact result for .1, .2, .3, and .4, just as your decimal calculator cannot get an exact result for 1/3. All of your findings stem from that and the different roundings that are a consequence. Remember that the "==" and 'intersect' operations expect exact equality right down to the smallest bit.
>

> Roger Stafford

Sure, but why pick on poor .3? Why do I not see the same issue for .2 or .4 or the other numbers? And if this really the root of the issue, shouldn't the operator == be equivalent to <= eps or something similar?