Topic: ZFC and God
Replies: 390   Last Post: Jan 31, 2013 4:22 PM

Jesse F. Hughes

Re: ZFC and God

WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:

> On 27 Jan., 13:10, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote:
>> WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:

>> > That depends on the domain where you work in. We have started to work
>> > in the domain of terminating decimals. Since the diagonal consists
>> > only of (changed) digits of these decimals, it is obviously a
>> > terminating decimal.
>> > Now, to answer your question: You did not say where you take 0.777...
>> > from. And obviously that cannot be determined from the digits, as I
>> > jusr explained.

>> When I write 0.777..., I mean the number
>>
>>   sum_i=1^oo 7 * 10^-i
>>
>> That is, for each i in N, the i'th digit of 0.777... is defined and is
>> 7.

> And do you have problems to find this confirmed as possible in the
> complete set of terminating decimals? Any digit or index missing?

I've no idea what you mean when you ask whether I can "find this
confirmed as possible". But, for each i in N, the i'th digit of
0.777... is defined and equals 7. Is there anything more I need to
know in order to claim that it is a non-terminating decimal?

>> Do you agree that there is only one number satisfying that
>> description?  Or are there two numbers that satisfy that description
>> and one of the numbers is terminating and the other non-terminating?

> I agree that this is a finite definition. But I said that we are
> working in the set of terminating decimals and identify numbers by
> their digits, indices or nodes. Is that hard to understand?

I didn't ask whether it was a finite definition. I asked whether it
was terminating. And it is not sufficient to note that each t_i is a
terminating decimal to conclude that d defined by

d(j) = 7 if j > k or t_j(j) != 7
  d(j) = 6 if j <= k and t_j(j) = 7.

is also terminating. This simply does not follow.

This is analogous to the fact that limits of sequences of rational
numbers may be irrational. We begin with a list of terminating
decimals, but it doesn't follow that the anti-diagonal is also
terminating. YOU HAVE TO PROVE THAT.

>> Let's suppose there *are* two different numbers, corresponding to the
>> terminating 0.777... and the non-terminating 0.777... .  Then
>>
>>   term. 0.777... = sum_i=1^oo 7*10^-i
>>
>> and also
>>
>>   non-term. 0.777... = sum_i=1^oo 7*10^-i,
>>
>> but then, of course, term. 0.777... = non-term. 0.777... !  Oops!
>>
>> Moreover, neither term. 0.777... nor non-term 0.777... satisfy the
>> definition of terminating decimal that you previously agreed to,
>> namely
>>
>>   Let x be a real number in [0,1].  We say that x has a terminating
>>   decimal representation iff there is a natural number k and a
>>   function f:{1,...,k} -> {0,...,9} such that
>>
>>    x = sum_i=1^k f(i) * 10^-i.
>>
>> The "terminating" 0.777... has no finite length.

> Please let me know when you will have succeded in finding a 7 that is
> not in the set of all terminating decimals.

I don't understand your question.

I reiterate: is there both a terminating and non-terminating decimal
0.777...? In what way do they differ?

If you insist that 0.777... is a terminating decimal, please prove
that there is a function f:{1,...,k} -> {0,...,9} such that

sum_i=1^k f(i)*10^-i = sum_i=1^oo 7*10^-1.

Otherwise, you have no argument that it is a terminating decimal,
because this is the definition of terminating decimal according to
*YOU*.

So, please give me a proof that there is, indeed, a function f with
finite domain such that the above holds.
--
"You can do 'math' until you drop dead, but if you're wrong, you're
still wrong, and the world will keep on turning regardless. Heaven

Date Subject Author
1/23/13
Read Re: ZFC and God
Aatu Koskensilta