Topic: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain arithmetic
formulas.

Replies: 22   Last Post: Jan 29, 2013 8:21 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.

On 27/01/2013 1:02 PM, Frederick Williams wrote:
> Nam Nguyen wrote:

>>> No one thinks that but you.

>> If I were you I wouldn't say that. Rupert for instance might not
>> dismiss the idea out right, iirc.
>>

>>> Its truth value might be discovered tomorrow.
>>
>> You misunderstand the issue there: unknowability and impossibility
>> to know does _NOT_ at all mean "might be discovered tomorrow".
>>
>> It's impossible to know of a solution of n*n = 2 in the naturals
>> means it's impossible to know of a solution of n*n = 2 in the naturals.
>> Period.
>>
>> It doesn't mean a solution of n*n = 2 in the naturals "might be
>> discovered tomorrow", as you seem to have believed for a long time,
>> in your way of understanding what unknowability or impossibility
>> to know would _technically mean_ .

> I am not talking about the words 'unknowability' and 'impossibility to
> know' the meanings of which I know. Nor am I talking about 'It's
> impossible to know of a solution of n*n = 2 in the naturals.' I'm
> talking about 'There are infinitely many counter examples of the
> Goldbach Conjecture'.

Ok. So you seem to be saying that (unlike the lone Nam Nguyen) everyone
should not think that it's impossible to know the truth value of cGC
since "its truth value might be discovered tomorrow", according to your
knowledge about mathematical logic.

But, A) what's the technical definition of "might be discovered
tomorrow"? "Tomorrow" relative to which side of the International
Date line? The Australia side? or the US side? And B) what happens
if before "tomorrow" has arrived, "today" somebody would discover
the truth value of cGC, rendering "might be discovered tomorrow"
_meaningless_ ?

I meant, what would "tomorrow", "today" have anything to to with
_mathematical logic_ ? And, would you have a concrete proof that its
truth value "might be discovered tomorrow"?

How do you know that it's _not_ impossible to know the truth value
of cGC?

All that aside, this thread ultimately is about an example of
non-canonical interpretation of the semantic of logical symbols
in general.

Would you be in the position to offer some evaluation, insight, on
such non-canonical interpretation?

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
1/27/13
Read Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain arithmetic
formulas.
namducnguyen
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmeticformulas.
Frederick Williams
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of
certainarithmeticformulas.
Frederick Williams
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
Jesse F. Hughes
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
Jesse F. Hughes
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of
certainarithmeticformulas.
Frederick Williams
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
fom
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmetic formulas.
Frederick Williams
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmetic formulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain arithmeticformulas.
Michael Stemper
1/29/13
[...]
Graham Cooper