Topic: SAYINGS XLII
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 28, 2013 7:41 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: SAYINGS XLII

Responding to Jerry Becker's "SAYINGS XLII" (and to all the previous "SAYINGS"):

I have been a keen follower of these sayings since when I first joined up at Math-teach. I have even collected a good number of these - with the intent of at some stage requesting Professor Becker to publish them in a single document/ book, with perhaps a little suitable commentary.

But I have been astounded at our inability (or unwillingness) to draw upon the wisdom contained in many of these sayings and to apply that wisdom to issues in our daily life. For instance, in this part XLII of the collection, I was particularly struck by:

> "If a child can't learn the way we teach, then maybe
> we should teach the way they learn!"
>
> (Ignacio Estrada) [Peggy McKee]

The ENTIRE answer for effective resolution of ALL the ills of US education (and in fact the ills of all education worldwide), is contained in that single saying!

But I see few if any signs that we've understood how actually to "do it"! I don't know whether we're even interested to apply that wisdom.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
1/27/13