Topic: BENCH on Sun Ultra 10 or PII-350 or 400 ???
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 17, 1998 7:31 AM

Torsten Schuetze

Re: BENCH on Sun Ultra 10 or PII-350 or 400 ???

J.H. Steele wrote:

> Do you happen to know the configuration of your Ultra 10? There are two:
> 300MHz w/ 512K L2 cache
> 333MHz w/ 2M L2 cache

Hi again,

it is the 300MHz version.

> The reason I'd like to know is that Sun claims the SPEC bench results
> are significantly better for the latter configuration:
> 300MHz w/ 512K L2 cache 12.1 12.9
> 333MHz w/ 2M L2 cache 14.1 18.0
> http://www.sun.com/desktop/products/Ultra10/index.html

> If you compare these results with Intel's published results for their high
> end, you have:
> PII 400MHz w/512K L2 15.3 12.4
> PII Xeon 400MHz w/512K L2 16.3 13.2
> PII Xeon 400MHz w/512K L2 16.5 13.7
> www.specbench.org --- Dell Precision Workstation 410 results (for the
> non-Xeon case)
> www.intel.com/businesscomputing/ wrkstn/b_spec95.htm

Considering the high price of the Xeon the results are not that
convincing w.r.t. PII. Personally I would by an Xeon only in a
multiprocessor system. There it is MUCH better than an Pentium II. But
the chip sets for the Xeon are too new to make an ultimate statement.

Dr. Torsten Schuetze Dresden University of Technology
Phone: (+49 351) 463 4084 Department of Mathematics
Fax: (+49 351) 463 4268 Institute of Numerical Mathematics
E-mail: schuetze@math.tu-dresden.de D-01062 Dresden, Germany
WWW: http://www.math.tu-dresden.de/~schuetze