Topic: BENCH on Sun Ultra 10 or PII-350 or 400 ???
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 17, 1998 7:31 AM

Torsten Schuetze

Re: BENCH on Sun Ultra 10 or PII-350 or 400 ???

J.H. Steele wrote:

> Do you happen to know the configuration of your Ultra 10? There are two:
>
> 300MHz w/ 512K L2 cache
> 333MHz w/ 2M L2 cache

Hi again,

it is the 300MHz version.

> The reason I'd like to know is that Sun claims the SPEC bench results
> are significantly better for the latter configuration:
>
> CONFIGURATION SPECint SPECfp
> 300MHz w/ 512K L2 cache 12.1 12.9
> 333MHz w/ 2M L2 cache 14.1 18.0
>
> SOURCE:
> http://www.sun.com/desktop/products/Ultra10/index.html

> If you compare these results with Intel's published results for their high
> end, you have:
>
> CONFIGURATION SPECint SPECfp
> PII 400MHz w/512K L2 15.3 12.4
> PII Xeon 400MHz w/512K L2 16.3 13.2
> PII Xeon 400MHz w/512K L2 16.5 13.7
>
> SOURCES
> www.specbench.org --- Dell Precision Workstation 410 results (for the
> non-Xeon case)
> www.intel.com/businesscomputing/ wrkstn/b_spec95.htm

Considering the high price of the Xeon the results are not that
convincing w.r.t. PII. Personally I would by an Xeon only in a
multiprocessor system. There it is MUCH better than an Pentium II. But
the chip sets for the Xeon are too new to make an ultimate statement.

Ciao,
Torsten
--
Dr. Torsten Schuetze Dresden University of Technology
Phone: (+49 351) 463 4084 Department of Mathematics