Topic: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Replies: 41   Last Post: Feb 28, 2013 4:46 AM

kirby urner

Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
att1.html (3.3 K)

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

> I have yet to see an adequate demonstration that the opinions of the one
> side are entirely correct or that of the opinions of the other side are
> entirely incorrect. If such is the case (that the one side is correct and
> the other side is incorrect), why not then proceed?

Why does it really matter which opinions are correct?

The fact of the matter is CCSS is a reality and it will continue to go
forward with some inertia.

What's to argue about then? Who cares if they're "bad" if they're
completely inevitable? CCSS is doomed to progress. Why waste time on
fulminations?

What, no Euclid's Algorithm? Doesn't matter. Of course they're not "high
bar" standards. What, no ASCII and Unicode covered? In my book, you're
wasting their time, trust, everything, but that's par for the course.
Schools tend to suck for the most part, because teachers are just given
monkey work, and students too.

As Clyde says, these are ultra-minimal standards, like you should also keep
the restrooms well stocked with toilet paper.

Having the janitors caucus would probably help students a lot more, at the
end of the day -- and the nutritionists. Lets talk about common core
minimum food standards and leave the curriculum standards to people more
qualified than government bureaucrats.

But then the latter aren't qualified to set standards regarding food
either, so lets give them their innocuous busy work.

Why be so spiteful and ungenerous, when we're with the other hand
apparently quite willing to pay full room and board, transportation, for
thousands upon thousands of people in Okinawa, Guam, Korea and elsewhere
(talking about government camps for poor people and the military jobs
program they've enrolled in, big time welfare).

School is NOT just about students getting an education, and never has been
just about that. That's not being cynical, that's telling the truth.

Why do we lie about the ultra-basics? That just makes the conversations
lag reality, at the expense of the conversations' relevance, as it doesn't
change what's so one iotum.

> I keenly await your further opinions on these issues.
>
> GSC

Opinions, opinions, what a waste of time. CCSS is an enterprise upon which
many have embarked and that's just the way it is.

Just let it be why not?

Soliciting opinions about the weather and wether it rains too much would be
about as useful, no?

Kirby

Date Subject Author
1/24/13
Read Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Domenico Rosa
1/25/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
1/25/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Domenico Rosa
1/25/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
1/26/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
1/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
1/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
1/28/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Louis Talman
1/26/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/28/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Domenico Rosa
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
1/28/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
CCSSIMath
2/8/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Wayne Bishop
1/28/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
1/28/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
CCSSIMath
2/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Louis Talman
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/31/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/8/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Wayne Bishop
1/30/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Domenico Rosa
1/31/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/1/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/2/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
2/1/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/1/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/1/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/2/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
2/3/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/8/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/11/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
2/12/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
CCSSIMath
2/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
2/28/13