Topic: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain arithmetic
formulas.

Replies: 22   Last Post: Jan 29, 2013 8:21 PM

Michael Stemper

Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain arithmeticformulas.

In article <xbfNs.425$OE1.376@newsfe26.iad>, Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen@shaw.ca> writes:
>On 27/01/2013 12:07 PM, Frederick Williams wrote:
>> Nam Nguyen wrote:

>>> In some past threads we've talked about the formula cGC
>>> which would stand for:
>>>
>>> "There are infinitely many counter examples of the Goldbach Conjecture".
>>>
>>> Whether or not one can really prove it, the formula has been at least
>>> intuitively associated with a mathematical unknowability: it's
>>> impossible to know its truth value (and that of its negation ~cGC) in
>>> the natural numbers.

>> No one thinks that but you.

>If I were you I wouldn't say that. Rupert for instance might not
>dismiss the idea out right, iirc.
>

>> Its truth value might be discovered tomorrow.
>
>You misunderstand the issue there: unknowability and impossibility
>to know does _NOT_ at all mean "might be discovered tomorrow".

Are you implying that GC have been proven to be indepedent of the usual
axioms of number theory?

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>

Date Subject Author
1/27/13
Read Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain arithmetic
formulas.
namducnguyen
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmeticformulas.
Frederick Williams
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of
certainarithmeticformulas.
Frederick Williams
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
Jesse F. Hughes
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
Jesse F. Hughes
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of
certainarithmeticformulas.
Frederick Williams
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
fom
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmetic formulas.
Frederick Williams
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmetic formulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/29/13
[...]
Graham Cooper