Topic: Matheology § 200
Replies: 40   Last Post: Jan 29, 2013 7:33 PM

Virgil

Re: Matheology � 200

In article
<e5f29877-208a-4b7d-a337-60a13aaf2d23@u7g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 29 Jan., 00:19, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <0c93f65a-ee92-4f8c-b63d-cf37933f2...@u20g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>,
> >

> >  WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > Have you some other advice what, in your opinion, are not sets? Look,
> > > Cantor took the seven colours of the rainbow and the seven tones of
> > > the octave as examples of sets*). Why should indexed digits have to
> > > stay outside of set theory?

> > Actually Cantor, and everyone else, would more properly take the seven
> > colors of the rainbow as MEMBERS of a set, not as sets themselves.

> No, he takes one colour as one member and the seven colours as the
> set.

> > Such ambiguity is a common source of many errors.

> No again. This distinction has become necessary to maintain matheology
> for more than 100 years.

Then what WM calls "matheoogy" is what real mathematicians call
mathematics.

> Cantor himself did not even distinguish
> between element and singleton. Didn't you know that, did you?

If so, things have improved considerably since then. Today the
distinction between being a set and being a member of that set is
carefully established and preserved in every set theory in general use.

> > > *) Look here
> > >http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~mueckenh/KB/KB%20801-1000.pdf

> Anyhow, even in modern set theory the sets of indexed digits are sets.

And the distinction between a set and one of its elements is carefully
preserved in every current generally accepted set theory despite WM's
desperate attempts to obscure the distinction!
--

Date Subject Author
1/26/13
Read Matheology § 200