Topic: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain arithmetic
formulas.

Replies: 22   Last Post: Jan 29, 2013 8:21 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmeticformulas.

On 29/01/2013 11:29 AM, Michael Stemper wrote:
> In article <xbfNs.425$OE1.376@newsfe26.iad>, Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen@shaw.ca> writes:

>>> No one thinks that but you.

>> If I were you I wouldn't say that. Rupert for instance might not
>> dismiss the idea out right, iirc.
>>

>>> Its truth value might be discovered tomorrow.
>>
>> You misunderstand the issue there: unknowability and impossibility
>> to know does _NOT_ at all mean "might be discovered tomorrow".

> Are you implying that GC have been proven to be indepedent of the usual
> axioms of number theory?

No. We don't even know if any usual axiom-system for the natural numbers
(e.g. PA) is syntactically consistent, or inconsistent (in which all
formulas would be provable).

For the record, I've always maintained that the issue of impossibility
to know of the _truth value_ of cGC is language-structure-centric,
independent of the notion of formal axiom-system.

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
1/27/13
Read Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain arithmetic
formulas.
namducnguyen
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmeticformulas.
Frederick Williams
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of
certainarithmeticformulas.
Frederick Williams
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
Jesse F. Hughes
1/27/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
Jesse F. Hughes
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of
certainarithmeticformulas.
Frederick Williams
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
namducnguyen
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
fom
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmetic formulas.
Frederick Williams
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain
arithmetic formulas.
namducnguyen
1/28/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certainarithmeticformulas.
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/29/13
Read Re: Formally Unknowability, or absolute Undecidability, of certain arithmeticformulas.
Michael Stemper
1/29/13
[...]
Graham Cooper