Topic: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Replies: 76   Last Post: Feb 1, 2013 6:57 PM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician

On 30 Jan., 10:27, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <b8ae4596-d84a-4752-bb5a-f5f51a596...@l9g2000yqp.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > On 30 Jan., 02:00, david petry <david_lawrence_pe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Doron Zeilberger wrote the following in an opinion piece on his website:
>
> > > "Read Wolfgang Mueckenheim's fascinating book ! I especially like the
> > > bottom of page 112 and the top of page 113, that prove, once and for all,
> > > that (at least) the actual infinity is pure nonsense."

> > >http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~zeilberg/Opinion68.html
>
> > > I'd be interested in seeing an English translation of the bottom of page
> > > 112 and the top of page 113.

> > It is essentially this:
> >http://planetmath.org/?op=getobj&from=objects&id=12607

> Which only shows that while figures do not lie, liars often figure.
>
> Such a silly sequence when give two or more such totally different
> interpretations

A sequence of numbers in mathematics needs no interpretation at all.

> can be made to have as many limits s interpretations.

In mathematics, the given sequence has one and only one (improper)
limit. Everything that interprets something else, stand outside of
mathematics.

> It also carefully ignores that many, if not most, sequences do not have
> any limit at all, and the ones claimed are, at best dubious.

Limits in mathematics have been defined by Cauchy and other great
mathematicians. And if a limit is +0, then the reciprocals are said to
have the improper limit oo. There is no uncertainty about that fact.

> That same swindle has been tried here before and been debunked.

by matheologians, but, not surprising, with very different arguments.
Just recently we saw the argument that finite cardinals and naturals
should behave very differently. Some time ago William Hughes had
another argument that I have to look up. I am curious to see further
arguments.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
1/29/13
Read Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/29/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/29/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
Virgil
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David C. Ullrich
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a pseudo-serious non-mathematician
Virgil
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a pseudo-serious non-mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Frederick Williams
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a not so serious non-mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
[...]
Jesse F. Hughes
1/30/13
[...]
quasi
1/30/13
[...]
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious self-confessed non-mathematician?
Virgil
1/31/13
[...]
Read Re: Poor Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious non-mathematician
Virgil
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
quasi
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
J. Antonio Perez M.
1/30/13
[...]
fom
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Brian Q. Hutchings