Topic: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Replies: 76   Last Post: Feb 1, 2013 6:57 PM

quasi

Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician

quasi wrote:
>david petry wrote:
>

>>Doron Zeilberger wrote the following in an opinion piece on his >website:
>>
>>"Read Wolfgang Mueckenheim's fascinating book ! I especially
>>like the bottom of page 112 and the top of page 113, that prove,
>>once and for all, that (at least) the actual infinity is pure
>>nonsense."

>Proves once and for all?
>
>By that wording, Zeilberger appears to be affirming the validity
>of Mueckheim's claimed "proof" of some theorem or other which
>supposedly yields the conclusion that "infinity is pure nonsense".
>

>>http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~zeilberg/Opinion68.html
>
>Of course, in the same blog, a few months later, Zeilberger
>awkwardly tries to retract the claim of "proof", asserting
>that his earlier post was only intended as an offering of
>philosophical support.
>
>However, in my opinion, that's a blatant copout.
>
>Worse, I regard Zeilberger's attempted "clarification" as
>deceitful, as evidenced by his posted statement:
>
> "I have no expertise, or interest, in checking any possible
> technical claims that he [Muckemheim] may have made."
>
>Insufficient expertise? A straight-out lie, in my opinion.
>
>No interest? In a Nov 2005 blog post, Zeilberger mentions
>Muckenheimer's "fascinating course".
>
>In a Dec 2008 blog post, Zeilberger alludes to results from
>pages 112 and 113 of Muckenheimer's book. As I see it, it's not
>believable that Zeilberger would quote results from pages 112
>and 113 without spending any time evaluating the first 111
>pages. Rather, it's just common sense to assume that Zeilberger
>actually did put some effort into evaluating Muckenheimer's book,
>the same book for which he later claimed to have neither
>expertise nor interest.
>
>Had Zeilberger made a full retraction, he would have suffered
>some embarrassment, but at least it would have shown integrity.
>Instead, showing perhaps his true colors, he weaseled out.

Apologies for mangling the spelling Muckenheim's name. In fact,
not only did I misspell it, but I spelled it incorrectly in
3 different ways:

Mueckheim
Muckemheim
Muckenheimer

I did manage to spell Zeilberger's name correctly.

quasi

Date Subject Author
1/29/13
Read Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/29/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/29/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
Virgil
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David C. Ullrich
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a pseudo-serious non-mathematician
Virgil
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a pseudo-serious non-mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Frederick Williams
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a not so serious non-mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
[...]
Jesse F. Hughes
1/30/13
[...]
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious self-confessed non-mathematician?
Virgil
1/31/13
[...]
Read Re: Poor Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious non-mathematician
Virgil
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
quasi
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
J. Antonio Perez M.
1/30/13
[...]
fom
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Brian Q. Hutchings